- The Middle East’s Drive to Diversify
- The Ukrainian Stormfront
- Economic Outlook for Turkey and the Region
- Doing Business in Turkmenistan
- Global and Regional Maritime Shipping Forecast
- Turkey’s Energy Future
- Can Cement Stop Contaminated Water Leak at Fukushima?
- Senate Fails to Pass Keystone XL Pipeline Bill
- Intermarine Carries Bokpoort Solar Power Plant to South Africa (Slideshow)
- Acwa Power to Expand Desal Operations in Oman
- Volga-Dnepr Delivers Rocket Stage to Baikonur
- Iran and Armenia Expand Power Project Cooperation
- Vestas Provides Turbines for Minnesota Wind Farm
- Hyundai Rotem to Build Assembly Plant in São Paulo
- American Specialty Alloys Plans New Aluminum Mill
Bechtel to Engineer Complex Chilean Water System
Bechtel has been selected by BHP Billiton to provide engineering, project management, and construction services for a water system to support the Escondida copper mine in the Atacama Desert of northern Chile. The U.S. engineering firm did not disclose the value of the contract.
The project includes construction of a seawater desalination plant at the Caleta Coloso port and the piping and electrical infrastructure needed to transport the water to the mine, which is located 114 miles away and 10,170 feet above sea level, Bechtel said in a statement. The mine is operated by Minera Escondida, in which BHP Billiton owns a majority stake.
“This an important project that’s quite complex given the distance between the port and the mine combined with the mine’s remote location and high altitude—not to mention the Atacama’s being the world’s driest hot desert,” said Jose Ivo, general manager of Bechtel’s Mining & Metals business in the Americas.
Bechtel will construct the seawater desalination plant. In addition, the company will undertake the engineering and construction of two 42-inch-diameter pipelines that will run between the port and the mine and the related infrastructure, which includes four high-pressure pumping stations, associated electrical substations, and 70 miles of high-voltage transmission lines. Bechtel also will provide construction management services for the marine works associated with the project.